Despite the growing obesity epidemic in America, you can find thousands of sites about fitness. There's tons of magazines out there too, and T.V. shows, and infomercials. There's definately an information overload in the fitness department.
With so much information, that changes so often, its easy to become confused and not know the best thing to do to for your health and fitness goals. One day Crossfit is the best. The next day it's cardio. Carbs are bad. Carbs are good. What the actual f*ck are you supposed to believe? Well, I don't really know for sure. But I DO know what I've done and what works for ME.
Disclaimer: I'd love to be a trainer/nutritionist, but I'm not. After you read this, do your own research and don't get all mad at me if my tips don't work for you. Thanks :).
First, here's the most recent list of fitness rules according to "research:" (By research I mean stuff I've read somewhere and can't remember where, or simply, my opinion. I'm not a certified trainer, but I know what I'm doing. Kind of.)
1. Not all calories are created equal. Some calories are more difficult to burn off than others. However, the basic formula still stands. Calories out must exceed calories in on a very consistent basis.
2. You need a combination of resistance training and cardiovascular training. One is not better than the other, unless you are working toward a specific event such as a marathon, in which case you'd want more cardio endurance than resistance, but you'd STILL want resistance/strength training. Resistance training builds muscle, which burns calories more efficiently than fat, so you continue to burn calories after you work out. Cardio keeps your heart strong and burns calories while you exercise. You can lift light weights for a lot of reps or heavy weights for a few. If you're a female, don't worry. You won't bulk up. You have to lift ALOT to look like a body builder.
3. Though many exercises have emerged over the years that are more effective at slimming you down than stuff that's been done in the past, that doesn't mean "old school" exercises aren't good for you. Jack Lalane didn't need Crossfit, Insanity or P90X and neither do you. Not to say those aren't great (I LOVE them) but if you don't have 'em you can live without 'em.
4. Shorter rounds of high-intensity interval training (HIIT) are more effective than longer, less instense aerobic sessions. Anaerobic means "without oxygen" meaning you will struggle for oxygen during your workout, increasing your lung capacity and making your heart WORK, in a good way. You actually need both types of cardio, but HIIT will slim you down much faster, if that's what you're going for.
5. Supersets are one of my favorite things ever. Here's why: They WORK. FAST. Supersets are working opposing muscle groups back to back, with no rest in between. For example, tricep kick backs followed by bicep curls. Some superset workouts, such as this one http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/metabolism/metabolism-boosting-superset-workout/ from Fitness magazine burn up to 300 calories in the 24 hours following the workout. Though the article says you don't need cardio, I beg to differ.
6. Doing something is better than doing nothing, but no matter how much or how little you do, give it you all for the best results!
Now, with these rules established, here's what works for me personally:
1. Two-a-day workouts. I have the attention span of a fruit fly. Therefore, two shorter workouts typcially work better for me than one long one. If my first workout is resistance training my second one will be cardio and vice versa. Also, as you lose weight, it's harder to lose weight. After awhile you have to intensity your workouts and/or decrease your calorie intake.
2. Plyometrics. Also known as jumping exercises, I love these so much I'm looking for a cheap set of plyo boxes. You don't need boxes though. You can do other jumping exercises such as tuck jumps and switch kicks too. They build strength and torch tons of calories.
3. Smoothies. I'm not a huge fan of veggies. If I can hide them in a smoothie I can eat more of them. I HATE kale, but when I can't taste it and still reap its benefits, it's a great day. When done right smoothies offer every component of a balanced meal: lean protein, carbohydrates and antioxidant rich vitamins and minerals. Try this out (I don't measure so use your judgement) Non fat Greek yogurt, frozen mango chunks, frozen pineapple chunks and frozen peach slices. You can use fresh as well, but I use frozen so that I don't have to use ice.
4. Discipline. Even though exercise is second nature to me doesn't mean there aren't days when I'd rather skip it. Discipline makes me not skip it. What's not second nature to me: eating right. For that, I need HUGE amounts of discipline. I LOVE fried foods and nearly anything involving bacon and/or cheese. Since I'm no longer 19, these items can't make regular appearences in my life. I don't deny my cravings, but I can't have stuff like this every day at every meal, no matter how much I want to. I also need discipline to stop eating when I'm full but something just "tastes so good." A slice of bacon won't make me fat. A pack of it will.
5. Morning Fitness: Though working at at any time of the day is fine, I prefer mornings. This may have something to do with 0630-0730 PT formations, Monday-Friday for the 12 years I was in the Army. Mornings are also the time when I work the hardest, because I haven't really expended my energy yet. I don't HAVE to be up early nowadays, but I choose to, because I'd rather have it done before my son or fiance get up. That's my "me" time for the day.
Everybody's different. We all have our reasons for wanting to be fit. What motivates me may not motivate you. Your goals aren't the same as mine. What remains the same is the body's need to be active and properly fueled, and the health benefits that come with active and healthy living. So, I hope you will find what works for you, whether it's following my advice or not. Just MOVE.
No comments:
Post a Comment